From:
Lucinda Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 10:57:54 +0100
Hi
Karen Olands' remark about slabs of brood has me wondering: how often does
the whole frame seal like that? Once a season? Twice with no swarming? It
seems to me that with my small (14 X 9 inch approx) broodframes in England I
only really see this once a year on any given frame: either on an expanding
colony or on a month hived swarm (same thing I suppose) otherwise it's the
mixed frame with unsealed brood inside, or outside sealed. Are there any
online photos of brood patterns? Can one gauge colony age/stage this way? Do
USA colonies with multiple broodboxes have queen heading to totally empty
frames only, or laying in cleaned out cells as soon as she is able?
John Sewell
" In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities" Suzuki.