From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 11:29:59 -0800
Milt Lathan wrote:

>I am planning to open my (5) hives for the 1st time this year. This is not
>my first winter - but - other than clearing the dead bees and seeing
>whether they need feeding - What does a beekeeper look for?

Hi Milt,
 I'm in your area. I'm at Hood Canal at sea level.
First . I'm just  taking off the lids to look at the clusters..  If you
have wall to wall bees , lift
the back of the hive , to check for weight..

I would not break the box's apart yet. We still are clustered up. Allow
the bees to stay clustered.
If you upset them too much , you will cause stress in the hive.
 What I look for right now , is hive populations. That will trigger me
for feeding.
Wait two more weeks before you start pulling frames. You want all the brood
that you have at this time. .
 As far as what to look for, take a good look in the archives of the
Bee-L. You can write a book about it.
 The simple side comes first. 4 frames of bees with a dry box. Moisture
is a big problem..
You will get more as the bees start using up more honey.

>Best Regards

Roy Nettlebeck
Tahuya River Apiaries
Tahuya Wa.