From:
Steve Bonine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:13:39 -0500
Yesterday the Evanston, IL city council passed an ordinance that
restricts beekeeping in that Chicago suburb.  Details at http://
www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/northshore/
chi-0610100108oct10,1,120751.story (registration required).  The
Tribune story does not include details on the actual restrictions
imposed, but the draft ordinance would have effectively banned
beekeeping in much of Evanston by establishing a 25-foot minimum
clearance for the bees (many lots are only 50 feet wide).

I see no indication in the newspaper article that there was support
from any beekeeping organization.  The action was precipitated by a
14-year-old beekeeper who has a blog at http://gobees.blogspot.com/.
Reading his blog, I do not get the impression that this is the ideal
spokesperson for beekeepers.

I'm curious if any beekeeping associations were involved, and if not,
why not.  The vote was 5-4 and I expect that if there had been a
coherent defense of beekeeping at the council meeting that this
ordinance would not have passed.  On the other hand, I'm basing my
opinion on the newspaper article, and we all know how dangerous that
can be.

A related question . . . I was asked after the fact by a friend who
lives in Evanston if there are materials available from any of the
beekeeping organizations that could be used in a situation like
this.  What resources do exist?  I know that ordinances like this
have been successfully turned back in other locations; is it a case
of the local beekeepers re-inventing the wheel each time?

Steve Bonine