From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 2015 17:06:54 -0300
On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 5:43 AM, Ghislain De Roeck wrote:

> >If you use oxalic acid or timol cristals it is better to use screened
> bottoms, but for formic and sintetic miticides it is better solid ones.
>
> Can you explain this further, Juanse?

in my understanding oxalic (vaporised or dribbled) and timol have contact
effect but not that effective, therefore it is better to let the varroa
fall to the ground if dislodged..

In the case of formic acid you need to build up formic fumes at the bottom
to completelly kill the varroas that are dislodged.

Sintetics usually kill at contact therefore it doesn't matter much which
floor you use.