From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2008 19:19:00 -0700
--- Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> While there is some disagreement on CCD in general
> the winter loss association to CCD in the
> North just doesn't fly with a lot of stationary
> beekeepers.

Aside from the true cases of CCD, which I do believe
are occurring, and are devastating some operations. I
do believe that there is a sideline affect of many
misdiagnoses, being reported as CCD.

Diana Cox-Foster reported that there is a rise in CCD
amongst inexperienced beekeepers.  This IMO is more
suggestive of a misdiagnosis (since experienced
beekeepers are not experiencing a similar rise).
Unless of course CCD has evolved the ability to
distinguish between hives of experienced and
inexperienced beekeepers. ;)

As far as beekeepers further north than I am in
Pennsylvania.  I happen to believe that the reason why
they are not reporting a high instance of CCD
is perhaps because they tend to be more expert in
analyzing symptoms of colony loss (or else succumb to
mismanagement and fail as beekeepers). Proper
diagnosing of symptoms is most critical for success in
beekeeping in the northern regions.

Best Wishes,
Joe
Pennsylvania