Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 2009 11:07:06 EST
Southwick took colonies to minus 80 C in a freezer.  Held them for 48  hrs,
then did measurements.

His data shows that bees can survive brutal cold, if they have enough bees
and sufficient food.

Honey consumption is highest at warmish temperatures and at extremely  cold
temperatures.  But, at the temperatures encountered in many northern  areas
- the cluster when settled in to the cold, actually is at its most
efficient state, needing less energy to keep 'warm'.

In Montana, we often come through a long-cold winter with colonies in
better shape then when we get a mild winter - when they consume more  honey.

Sorry about the unscientific terms - but I've too much going on to run to
ground his original papers - I had several good conversations with him about
 this.

One tip, he found that you should leave an empty comb at the outside of
each box.  When it gets really cold, the cluster moves up against that  comb,
using the hexagonal cylinders as dead, insulating space.  So, if you  'help'
the bees by putting combs full of honey all the way across, the outside
frame, when full of honey, transmits the cold right through.

Jerry