From:
Mary Ann Kae <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2018 20:08:21 -0500
<the assumption that all the lithium would end up in honey is nonsense>

I wasn't really concerned about buildup in the comb or honey relative to human consumption, but the actual exposure effect on bees.  Beekeepers tinker a lot with with practices that impact bees' immediate health as well as their epigenetics in all kinds of ways; the effects of which I don't think anyone fully appreciates.  Let's take pollen sub and sugar syrup as examples.  It's the equivalent of feeding your kids junk food.  Giant commercial beekeeping setups are the equivalent of cattle feed lots.  But these things really works for beekeepers, and that's more paramount than what's really the best for bees.  Same thing with breeding out characteristics that are inconvenient for beekeepers, but have health value for bees - like propolizing tendencies, "gentleness", etc.  Who knows how some of our more self-serving manipulations have contributed to their health problems?  (vis a vis immunity, disease vectors, etc).  Not dissing commercial beeks, just sayin'.

I don't have "production goals" as a hobbyist,  and also realize there's nothing "natural" about beekeeping.  But I try to adhere to good standard practices with the goal of propagating bees which are well-suited to our climate here in the coastal PNW lowlands.

I knew those bipolar jokes were gonna start coming, too!  Do we want bees on any dose of psychoactive meds with lots of side effects?  :-)