From:
Ted Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2014 10:33:38 -0500
Peter Borst wrote:

"This is also misleading. I have met quite a few second and third generation beekeepers whose parents were excellent beekeepers but they were not. Many of them want the kind of lifestyle of their peers without the kind of work load of a commercial beekeeper."

 I think this argument might have some merit in a hypothetical debate. But that is not the case here.

The “he’s not a real beekeeper” argument is a favourite refuge for those who feel the scientific footings of their case might be a little shaky. If the science on neoinics is sound, why resort to character assassination?

I enjoyed your post on the joys of beekeeping Jim.

One of my favorite events is moving bees into fireweed. I generally set the bees off at dawn on some mountain slope. As I erect the bear fence, the day warms up and the bees begin to fly and get their bearings. I am probably just anthropomorphising but it seems to me the bees get frenetic thrill from the smell of the vast new nectar source. For awhile the air becomes so thick with bees milling about it is amazing they don't bump into each other.

But then I have to spend days in the extracting room and the good feelings all gone. Ted