From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2018 09:37:54 -0800
> >Big question in my head,  given our other discussion of from Donze the
> mites reproduction rate of mated females increases when more than one
> foundress is in the cell,  up to 7 was the number given.

The number of daughters per foundress typically goes down with multiple
entry, but the number of mated daughters PER CELL (not per foundress) goes
up.  Huge difference!

> With that thought,  then even with the brood ratio change,  why do more
> mites become phoretic longer?

The duration of the phoretic period appears to be a function of the ratio
of adult bees to 5th-instar larvae.  My entire model is based upon that
assumption.  I suggest you read Boot's paper "Chance or choice."

Charlie, I know that you've got idle time right now.  Please take an hour
and read the comments on my model.  They will explain many of these
questions for you, and give you a much better understanding of mite
population dynamics.  That's why I posted the model with all the
explanations--to put a distillation of all my research on the subject in
one easily-accessible place

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA