From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 22:34:17 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Greg Zujus
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Hello All,
>I am new to beekeeping and I am preparing A location for my apiary. The site
>I have in mind for my Apiary is under a set of 3 high power lines. I have
>read that electro magnetic fields such as those created by high power lines
>affect the performance of honey bee hives. Does anyone have an opinion or
>experience on this ? Should I look for a new location ?

Dear Greg,

I have read your query, and the responses you have recieved with
interest.

Purely from our experience we do not find them to be a problem.

For some years now we have had an apiary right in the base of a
particularly large pylon, a huge square area with each side measuring
about 25 metres and a leg of the pylon at each corner. We are able to
get the truck right in underneath it and this togather with an adjoining
apron of uncultivated ground carries 70 hives each season. This pylon
carries 6 x 330,000 volt lines.

For several years it has been one of our best locations, with good
wintering and high yields. The bees are no more agressive than at other
sites. We have a second apiary under the same lines a couple of miles
away, although not under a pylon, and it also is a good yielding yard
with acceptable, although not great, wintering. We have also a couple
more sites on the same estate as the hives under the pylon, both of
which will be at least half a mile away from the power lines. One of
these does about as well as the pylon site and the other less well.

My conclusion, based purely on our observation, is that there are more
important factors than this when choosing a site. The variations between
our yards is most easily explained by all the classical reasons such as
orientation, shelter, air drainage, presence of landmarks, and available
forage. If your chosen site has all these correct and is the best place
available to you, just go ahead and use it.

I would not choose to argue with the scientific evidence, however, as
as a secondary factor, certainly here in our area.

Anyway, whatever you finally decide to do, I wish you the very best of
luck with your bees and hope they will give you many years of pleasure.

Murray
--
Murray McGregor