From:
Deborah Hewitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2018 06:24:16 -0400
I am sorry to hear that ABJ is changing to where we are losing authors such as Peter who have experience in many aspects of beekeeping and can communicate in a professional but engaging manner.  I may be old school, but "warm and fuzzy" doesn't appeal to me.

I will ask about the editor's intentions about the disclaimer, but I agree with Bill that the disclaimer is trying to discredit Randy's work.

Charles makes a good point that we should be engaging more to keep the journals that we want to read. I do not know whether the journals were losing readers before and the current changes are an attempt to attract a younger generation of beekeepers (thus the kids' page?).

Part of the issue may be that we now have a generation who cannot be bothered to read a textbook, scientific article, or anything longer than a tweet. How do we improve that? New beekeepers that I mentor rarely have looked at their short course notes or the index from The Beekeeper's Handbook (or any other book) before calling with basic questions. I'm thinking we need less coddling and more mentors like George Imrie.

Debbie Hewitt in Maryland