Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2016 17:46:02 +0000
I understands still no agreement on when a colony starts to rise winter
bees. I follow Matilla and Otis and blame autumn dearth as the trigger.

Interesting discussion,  a friend and I have been debating and experimenting on fall feed this year. no answers,  but what effect does fall feeding of a good pollen sub do?  does it effect winter bee development?  Well aware of Randy's research on fall pollen subs,  and understand that many work on the details of fall dwindle until jan,  but also aware of some great beeks who feed hard in the fall for continual winter build and do well also.
If autumn dearth is the trigger then hives fed in fall  would seemingly collapse even more in Jan time frame??  a bit contrary to ground reality.

Charles