From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 12:06:37 -0700
Bee cops fail in search for Afro-Beetles in Ohio, as reported on-line in the
"Killer Bee and Worm Journal" at:

http://beenet.com/bnews.htp

It could be that my sources got it rong, if so I am embarrassed and apologize
to those who feel they were wronged. It also could be that what the beekeepers
involved are finding is not the same as the bee cops or maybe my source was
just being prophetic in the information I used to write on 8.7.98 this
report:

<BEENEWS SPECIAL> 8.7.98 AFRO-Beetles have been found in six state's and
looking. Damage in most cases is NOT expected to be great and control my be as
easy as moving to new locations,..often. Several controls includes both
chemical and biological. One includes a chemical now used for Fire Ants and
registration could be pending label changes. Some questions have not been
answered such as if damage is greater closer to the coast and the route this
pest used to get to an island off the coast of SC with heavy infestation to
bees there reported? The states are SC, FL, GA, OH, ND, and ME. *editor.

* Of course you may not have read about this in your local newspapers as its
from un-named sources close to the investigation and invasion.

Additional information on the Small Hive Beetle indicates that the beetles
themselves can live quite a while in the hive but the worms must pupate in the
ground. The ground must be moist, about the same moisture that would support
fishing worms. This would limit the generations produced in many areas of the
country. The worms may also be susceptible to at least two strains of BT. Also
it has been reported that Carbolic Acid a chemical once used to drive the bees
from honey supers is better at driving the adult beetles out of the hives then
the bees. Nothing has been reported on the chemicles now used today in the US
to do the same or their effect on the beetles.

ttul, the OLd Drone
http://beenet.com

---------------The last word from Ohio 8.12.98 as e-mailed from the Chief
Michael E. Cooper-----------------------
FYI
Michael E. Cooper, Chief
Bureau of Feeds and Plant Services
Phone (208) 332-8620
Fax: (208) 334-2283

[log in to unmask]; <mailto:[log in to unmask];>  [log in to unmask];
<mailto:[log in to unmask];>  [log in to unmask];
<mailto:[log in to unmask];>  [log in to unmask];
<mailto:[log in to unmask];>  [log in to unmask];
<mailto:[log in to unmask];>  [log in to unmask];
<mailto:[log in to unmask];>  [log in to unmask];
<mailto:[log in to unmask];>  [log in to unmask];
<mailto:[log in to unmask];>
[...]
Subject:        No Beetles In Ohio -Forwarded

Hi all,
Here is a note from Linda in OH simply saying that they have not yet found
the small hive beetle in OH.
blane
Blane White
MN Dept. of Agriculture
St Paul, MN
[log in to unmask] <<No Beetles In Ohio>>