From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Feb 2012 10:33:29 -0500
Bob writes > Even today the maker is not named

Anyone who can type Clothianidin can figure out who makes it. They will also learn:

> EPA originally evaluated clothianidin for registration through a North American Free Trade Agreement Joint Review (PDF) (18 pp, 120 k, about PDF) with Canada in 2003. During that process, we identified it as an alternative to organophosphate and carbamate pesticides. Both of these classes of older insecticides are very highly acutely toxic to bees and, unlike clothianidin, are also very highly acutely toxic to humans and wildlife. When EPA granted the initial registration for clothianidin seed treatment uses in 2003, the Agency determined that the uses met the risk/benefit and safety standards for registration as required by federal law.

> Clothianidin generally poses less risk to agricultural workers and fish and wildlife when compared to the organophosphate and carbamate insecticide alternatives. The acute laboratory data show that clothianidin is toxic to honey bees, as are most insecticides. Current labels for clothianidin products used as foliar treatments (e.g. spray applications) include bee hazard statements (PDF) (16 pp, 825 k, about PDF) that prohibit use when plants are flowering and bees are in the area. EPA is not aware of any data demonstrating that bee colonies are subject to elevated losses due to long-term exposure to this compound. -- source: US EPA, Current as of February 18, 2011

and, from the original registration, in 2003:

(E)-1-(2-chloro-1,3-thiazol-5-ylmethyl)-3-methyl-2- nitroguanidine
Clothianidin, Poncho, Nitroguanidine subgroup of nicotinoids, Bayer Corporation

> Clothianidin is expected to present acute and/or chronic toxicity risk to endangered/threatened birds and mammals via possible ingestion of treated corn and canola seeds. Endangered/threatened non- target insects may be impacted via residue laden pollen and nectar. The potential use sites cover the entire U.S. because corn is grown in almost all U.S. states.

> Clothianidin is highly toxic to honey bees on an acute contact basis (LD50 > 0.0439 μg/bee). It has the potential for toxic chronic exposure to honey bees, as well as other nontarget pollinators, through the translocation of clothianidin residues in nectar and pollen. In honey bees, the effects of this toxic chronic exposure may include lethal and/or sub-lethal effects in the larvae and reproductive effects in the queen.

Be that as it may, work on the actual effect of this product was begun in 2005:

> Probably the most successful class of reduced-risk systemic insecticides is the chloronicotinyl (syn. neonicotinoid) compounds, introduced in 1991 with registration of imidacloprid (Bayer CropScience, Monheim am Rhein, Germany) and followed by development of thiacloprid in 2000 (Bayer CropScience).  Clothianidin is considered the third member of the chloronicotinyl class (Jeschke et al. 2003). The seed treatment formulation (Poncho, Bayer CropScience) has high root systemicity and insecti- cidal activity against a wide range of economically important insect pests of sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.); corn, Zea mays L.; and oilseed crops

> Spring canola fields were established on the University of Guelph Elora Research Station, Elora, Ontario, Canada (two sites, E1 and E2) and on two farms owned by grower cooperators (two sites, W3 and W4) in proximity to the Elora Research Sta- tion.  Colonies were prepared for overwintering at the fall apiary in late October 2005. Colonies were not wrapped with insulation as the fall apiary was very sheltered. Because of minimal mite infestation during the summer, no autumn varroa mite treatments were necessary. On 19-20 April 2006, the status of overwintered colonies was assessed.

> Overall, we found no differences between colonies from clothianidin-treated and control Þelds. Colonies in clothianidin-treated Þelds gained as much weight and yielded as much honey as those in control Þelds. Mean honey yield per colony in the clothianidin- treated colonies was comparable to the 2005 Ontario honey yield average of 46.6 kg. In addition, assessment of colonies in the spring revealed no differences in brood production, number of adult workers, overwinter colony survival and overall colony health, whether colonies were originally in clothianidin seed-treated or control Þelds. Only 14% of colonies alive in autumn did not survive winter, and half of those colonies were control colonies. -- CUTLER AND SCOTT-DUPREE: CLOTHIANIDIN-TREATED SEED AND HONEY BEES

Before that, however, Peter Dillon had already raised a red flag on the product here on Bee-L:

Sun, 9 May 2004
Flea beetle controlling compound with stunning residue periods - as well
as being a substance that is highly toxic to honey bees has been given
authorisation for use. ... concentrations of the insecticide may show up in
pollen and nectar in concentrations that exceed the measured acute oral
LD50 for honey bees.

Followed by Jim Fisher, who wrote:

Fri, 14 May 2004
A quick search did not yield any reference to any completed study on
honey bees, but I did find one done on bumblebees that claimed "no impact".
Please note that the "nicotinoids" group of systemic pesticides also
includes the far-too familiar Imidacloprid (Admire, Confidor, Gaucho,
Merit, Premier, Premise, Provado...). "Gaucho", "Poncho"... I see a trend here.
Bayer seems to be talking through their sombrero to the federales.