From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2007 18:11:55 -0400
I put my traps on 'now' and take them off in mid-October.  Unless we are
going away for more than a week I never shut them off, and do not see any
indication of weakened hives or lower honey stores when comparing hives
where pollen is trapped to other hives.

Whoever said '3 days off and 3 days on' is truly ignorant as that person
could not have ever collected pollen, let alone have done the kind of
scientific work that Seeley did to show that bees will just collect more
pollen if you trap some away.  Anyone who has ever collected pollen is well
aware of the 3-7 day period of confusion when traps are installed.  To
suggest that every three days the traps should be turned off and on is to
perpetuate the confusion all season.  (If stress is a contributor to CCD,
following the 3-day advice is sure to bring it on!)

Almond pollen may be the most nutritious, at around 45% protien, but lots of
pollens come in at 30%-35%.  Avoid corn pollen!

Hope this helps,

Lloyd

--
Lloyd Spear