From:
Jeff Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 12:43:28 -0700
First of all, thanks to everyone on this list.  I've been subscribed for
quite a while and it has been quite informative.

We are hobby beekeepers of three years.  Our blackberry honey has been
harvested and I'd like to concentrate on making sure our splits are up
to par for going into winter.  Relative to our main nectar flow, it's
slim pickings in our part of Western Washington.  If I were willing to
move our hives, we could take advantage of the plentiful fireweed, but
I'm not.

I've been trying to use a couple types of feeders in our weaker hives,
including frame feeders and inverted quart jars with holes in the lids.
No matter what, feeding encourages the larger colonies to rob the weaker
colonies.  The stronger colonies are being fed too.

Yesterday I took our uncapping tank about 100 meters from the apiary and
poured in a gallon of syrup and and some small pieces of wood to serve
as foot holds.  I added another gallon last night as it had been almost
entirely consumed.  The apiary robbing is down to a minimal level and
thousands of field bees are happily gorging themselves on the 1:1 sugar
mixture 100 meters away in the uncapping tank.

Is there anything wrong with this method of feeding?  Outside of feeding
stations for research, I can't see I've seen a bee text ever suggest
anything like this.  Of course, I realize I'm feeding other hymenoptera
of the area.  Actually, it's nice to watch the Bald Faced Hornets in
particular.  I might change my mind if I saw strange honeybees show up
that didn't appear to come from my apiary.

Thoughts?

-Jeff

Western Washington