From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2013 23:20:15 -0400
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Thompson, H., Fryday, S., & Dennis, N. (2013). Neonicotinoid Pesticides
> and Bees.

The full paper is here:

http://www.fera.defra.gov.uk/scienceResearch/scienceCapabilities/chemicalsEnvironment/documents/syngentaNeonicotinoidReportJan13.pdf

Syngenta seems to have some role in the paper, maybe as the sponsor, but I
don't think that matters.  It is not original research but a very very
extensive compendium of the published data on all the various neonicotinoid
insecticides,  various LD values (oral, contact, 24 hr, 48 hr. 96 hr,) the
range they have been found by various authors,  also in various species of
bees, various ages of bees,  sublethal effects,  synergism with other
chemicals and with funguses and other disease stressors.  It has a huge
bibligraphy.  I was quite impressed with the work that went into compiling
that report.

To get back on track with the propolis video:
I am a big believer in the benefits of propolis.  But that video really
bothered me.  Mixed in with the real facts was a lot of non facts (like the
no immune system thing,  why didn't he just say reduced immune system which
is likely correct, say compared with a fruit fly).  The temperature of a
beehive is NOT the *same* as the human body and it doesn't take any more
time to say *similar*.  And maybe the propolis from hot wet places is more
antibiotic, but I wouldn't take his word for it.  The sleeping sickness and
malaria thing doesn't make any sense without his proposing a mechanism.  I
mean does the sleeping sickness trypanosome affect bees or the plants
producing the resins?  So why should propolis from that area have special
immunity properties?  And why would he expect it with malaria?  Instead of
even proposing malaria I would have been more interested if he gave a
couple more sentences to back up his incredible claim about sleeping
sickness.

Sceptic Stan  (but I believe in the healing powers of Alejandra's propolis
and apitherapy, Juanse)