From:
Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2012 10:03:33 -0400
<It isn't fair to those of us who have everything invested in our bees, to
have newbees in the neighborhood,>

This is a dangerous two way street.  I might say that it isn't fair to me
to have migratory beekeepers in the area that bring in pests from all over
the country as well.  Even treated hives are still going to bring novel
pests into the area.  I could go so far as to complain about their drones
muddying up my resistant bee stock etc.  It's a sensitive topic trying to
tell people what they can and cannot do on their own property, even if
there is legal precidence in Ag law.

The best bet is always open communication with neighbors.  I took the time
to talk to the commercial guy up the road when he was out working his bees
at his holding yard, let him know where I was situated, hives etc.  This
way if he had any concerns he could address them.  None of my close
neighbors have bees (although there are not many neighbors period where I
live), but they are aware that I do.  There is one operation I have not
been able to get in contact with, but his bees are about 2.5 miles as the
crow flies, only there part of the year, and don't appear to be managed
very often, but that could just be the schedule they are on.
Jeremy
West Michigan