From:
Jane Power <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 1994 18:46:20 -0500
Hiho!  I use inside covers, and in the winter, I leave the whole in the
cover open and place an empty super with straw in it and then put the
on the outside cover.  Then in the spring but before the daffodils are
open I can feed (on very warm days) by snuggling a jar of food into
this top compartment.  It works well for me and the bees really seem
to like it.  They are in the upper part of the hive anyway and are
usually exploring the straw when I go in.  Of course I have less than
10 colonies and can therefore fuss. I can't see doing this with 200.
This year with 57 days of -25C in 2.5 months I am crossing my fingers.
Cheers, Jane.