From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 08:01:17 EST
> Hi all, in response to Aaron Morris email to bee-l, i kinda see your
> point i get tired of rereading the first question or statement but
> sometimes it helps to read the whole thing over again. besides isn't
> this a discussion group??...

Yes, this is a discussion group but again as in theatre (spelling for
our British subscribers :) there's more going on than what's on stage.
Consider raw volume - volume in downloads, volume in digests, volume in
logs, volume in archives!  It's more than just electrons traversing
wires or residing on storage mediums, it's real time and real money!
To respond to your query I have removed over 50% of what you posted, I
have quoted what was necessary and removed the rest.  I am not decreeing
THOUT SHALL NOT REQUOTE!, I'm requesting and reminding that reposts of
previously posted material adds VOLUMES to the transmissions and logs
and lessens the discussions.

> i have another question, why is bee-l limited to only fifthy (50)
> post per day if they're 641 members??

Well first, 50 is the LISTSERV default.  I didn't set it, it came that
way.  Second, a limit is a way to implement some sort of control on
the volume of traffic.  The unfortunate part is that there is no "value
judgement" made on the posts, all posts are treated equally whether it's
Malcolm Sanford posting the latest issue of Apis (IMO the best material
posted to BEE-L) or if it's Joe Schmoe posting "I like APIS too!".  As
Dr. Seus would put it:
                      "It really doesn't matter at all,
                    a post is a post no matter how small!"

For the record, I have started bumping the THRESHOLD to 100 on Friday
afternoon and resetting it on Monday morning.  This is not an invitation
for more posts on the weekend, and my personal opinion is this is NOT
the right thing to do, but it ensures that the list will stay up over
the weekend.

To get the original discussion of a 50 message limit send a single line
of mail to:
that reads:
                    GETPOST BEE-L 18359 18398 20684

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!