Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2009 05:49:33 EDT

[log in to unmask] writes:

In the  EU (European Union)
honey is routinely tested for HMF as an indicator for  age and/or
quality.  There are even guidelines for the sale of honey  based upon the
5-HMF levels.  These EU consumers there are expecting  filtered "raw"
honey.

The legal level is 40ppm HMF but how is the beekeeper to know whether his
honey is just legal or just illegal? Our local Trading Standards people  send
samples to a lab in the next county for testing at a cost of about £80 a  time
to the taxpayer.

We can strain our honey but not filter it unless it is labelled as  'Filtered
Honey'.

Chris