From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2008 12:41:07 -0500
from the Vita web site
>  biological control of chalkbrood (by the use of Bacillus sp.) was feasible

"Bacillus sp." is a pretty vague term. One should bear in mind, the
bacillus genus includes

Bacillus anthracis, which causes anthrax
B. megaterium  used as a soil inoculant in agriculture and horticulture
B. sphaericus used as a larvicide for mosquito control
B. subtilis, an important model organism, notable food spoiler,
causing ropiness in bread and related food
B. thuringiensis, is an important insect pathogen, used to control insect pests

However, while on the topic of AFB vs Chalkbrood, this also from the
Vita web site:

> At Cardiff University a non-pathogenic bacterium, Paenibacillus larvae subsp. pulvifaciens (PLP) normally present in beehives at low levels, was shown to produce natural substances, which annihilate M. plutonius in laboratory cultures. Further testing at the National Bee Unit, York has given encouraging results of good tolerance in and extremely low risk of toxicity to honeybees. This is important, as honeybees can be incredibly sensitive to certain compounds.

I wonder, however, might using something like that give a false
positive for AFB?

--
Peter L Borst
Danby, NY  USA