From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 11:56:34 -0800
Ian Watson wrote:
> I have been following this thread for the last few days, and while many
> interesting and logical points have been made about using 9 frames in the
> brood box, I have one reservation which I don't believe has been mentioned
> yet. This is the fact that there will be 10 % less space for the queen to
> lay, and consequently 10 % less bees, which seems to me to be NOT what

        The queen could never lay in 100% of the avalable cells. There
are many more important factors tha determine how many eggs she lays-
time of year, honey flow, pollen available, temperature, cluster size,
and beed of bee. Of course a brood nest with less space will plug out
sooner than a large one, but is the brood nest really 10% smaller? With
nine frame spacing the cells will be drawn deeper and hold more honey. I
don't know what the relative capacity of 9 or 10 frames is but would
guess its between 90 and 100%, probably more like 93-97%.