From:
Greg Maddux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 13:26:14 -0400
-

>I have been keeping bees for about 4 years now, and have 10 hives.  They
>seem to do quite well
>by using conventional medication and care.  They are calm bees, and don't
>usually flare up, and
>I take my time not to hurt them.  I finished with the bees, and moved away
>to my truck and was
>hit from the side.  I do not think that I was in a glide path, in fact was
>behind the bees.  I got a hot
>flash in the side of my eye.  A quick look by my wife, a quick scrape, and
>a sting was out.  A few
>hours later my eye was swollen shut.  I have not had a reaction from bee
>stings before, only a
>slight swelling and itch alittle.  This scares me a little.  Is this a
>reaction because it was in a very
>soft place, or can I look to get more reaction in the future.  I get stung
>very seldom. The swelling is
>almost gone after 3 days, but still tender.  Walt in SC

I have been stung by bees and wasps on the face (between eyes and temples)
several times before.  Each time, my eyes were swollen nearly closed.  It
would always be gone in a few days.  Stings to other parts of the body are
normal, just small welts.  I think it is probably just because of a soft
tissue area.