From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2013 09:38:46 -0500
Welcome to the world of the small hive beetle.

I went to Florida in 1998 to observe the first find
As did Jeff Pettis and others.

Ater 15 years still a pest.

I have been watching SHB in Ob hives. Pu .

You have the SHB cycle right but have only scratched the surface of problems SHB can cause.

My study subject addresed the question.
"If a mature beetle can lay eggs and the worms cause problems in a week is that female done?"

Does said female lay eggs repeatedly over the time period
When it seems SHB is most active which can cover months?

Based on my findings i believe SHB could be a bigger problem than wax moths to beekeepers in the future.
Especially in stored  equipment.

We saw less beetles the two yearsof drought but now wet weather has returned and so have the beetles.

We had bumper year for melons and canalopes so i believe
SHB is reproducing in those.

Onefarmer was talking about the black beetles in his broken open cantalopes and the funny looking worms.

Bob