From:
Ellen Anglin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 22:20:20 -0700
 I have a few of these older Kelley boxes- the ones that require a frame rest that raises the frames up a bit.  They are teriffic for stationary hives- the frames come free easily, making lifting out the frames easier.  They do keep the frames freer than plain wood, but the grooves d tend to fill up with propolis after a couple years of use, making a bit of a mess, and reducing the effectiveness of the design unless you clen it out well.  (Easily scraped out with a hooked frame cleaning tool, but never comes quite as clean as a plain groove- not important unless you are intent on getting the equipment <really> clean, like I was.)   I did notice, that when the equipment is new, or freshly cleaned, the frames are more prone to moving- which is an advantage if you are stationary, but might be a problem if migrating.
 When cleaning out and refurbishing this old equipment , I think I discovered why the deeper grooves have been abandoned by most beekeepers.  1.  I had to remove the rests to get the equipment totally clean.  The propolis and wax in the groove is really stuck in there- if the body is old, its easiest just to remove the rest, clean and sterilize the equipment, and replace it.  2. You <have> to have the extra part, the metal frame rest, to keep the bee spacing where it is supposed to be.  If you have equipment from more than one supplier, it is just another part to keep on hand, and to make sure it is in place only where needed.
The boxed I "Inherited" were in excellent shape, but I cleaned them all thoroughly- removing all frame rests, scraping out all propolis and wax, singeing the insides, and repainting the outsides.  It was only when I went to put frames in, that I discovered that some didn't fit properly- the frames scraped the ground when I dropped them in.  It took me a bit to realize that these boxes needed the frame rests that lifted- So I ordered them from Kelley, and the problem was solved- but now I have another part on hand to keep track of, and replace if it becomes damaged.  Installing frame spacers on the ridged tracks is easy- but here again, the part is different from the frame spacer used on the flat, L shaped rests used on most equipment- another part to keep on hand if you use them!
Given the need for a <different> parts, and the limited benefits of the raised shelf that the frames rest on, I can see why these have fallen out of use- The small advantage is probably not worth the extra trouble, and definately not worth the trouble if you are working large scale, with different types of equipment.
Ellen in Michigan
  "Frank I. Reiter" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Bob & Liz wrote:

> On Kelley boxes the top inside ends were rabbeted out 7/8"
> deep so they would take the metal
> frame rests *which prevent the top bars from being propolized down*.
> Many beekeepers removed these metal frame rests in later years.

One local manufacturer still uses these - another does not. Why were they
abandoned by those who ceased to use them? Do most folks use, or not use
them?

Frank.
-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation. - Jean Shinoda Bolen