From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 09:32:20 -0500
Hello Ellen & All,
I agree with everything Ellen Has said and very good advice from a beekeeper
keeping hives in a yard type setting.
I will say there are cities which do have rules against keeping bees within
the city limits.  These are hard to by pass.  Many cities in Florida have
got these as migratory beekeepers move their bees close in to cities at
certain times for the floral sources.  Cities around Sanford, Florida have
cut huge ditches in certain areas to prevent the entrance of bee trucks.
Urban sprawl has stopped the use of many areas around cities.
Yesterday when I pulled into a bee yard the owners truck blocked my
entrance.  I had been in the yard the day before and dequeened some hives
and had talked to the owner.  He knew I was comming back the next day.  He
came out to ask me about *Killer* bees as he had seen a program on TV about
killer bees last month.   I took the time to explain in detail and for him
not to worry for now in Missouri. The part in the program about *killer*
bees taking over the commercial hives was the question that was bothering
him.  I have had bees on his land for 25 years without incident.
 It is *possible* that the neighbor involved in the post saw the same
program and is going to *nip* the hive situation *in the bud*.   Also be
prepared for *other* neighbors to come forward with their experiences if the
complaining neighbor is popular in the neighborhood.    Calling the
authorities instead of approaching you personally sounds as if they mean
business.   Be prepared.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri
Ps when it comes to bees everyone is alergic( or so many say). The guy at
the post office the other day had the lady clerk bring my queens to the
counter because he was alergic. I guess my supplier will have to quit
putting *queen Bee* on a box a foot long  and 7 inches wide (to large for a
fly swatter). So far all the employees but the male clerk know the box is
full of queens and not one *big* bee.    Many people believe keeping a hive
of bees in the back yard is like keeping two pit bulls in the back yard.
Always potential for a problem.