From:
"Frank I. Reiter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 10:04:05 -0500
Thank you for this wonderfully informative posting, which I shall save for
future reference.  I am curious about one assertion however:

> This is the heading space. There is evidence for this, most notably in the
> work of Dyer (1991) which appears to refute the 'cognitive map' idea from
> Gould (1986). Horridge (1999) showed that bees can learn edge
> cues but it is not likely they 'memorize' entire patterns.
> So I don't think bees hold entire 'cognitive maps' in their wee bee
brains.
> They may remember the
> 'termophores' (coined here first (I think)! from the Greek terma
> = edge and aphoros = bearing) and their sequence but not the whole visual
> landscape en route.

It seems to me that this conflicts with the observation that when a hive is
moved at night and placed in a new location within normal foraging range of
the original location, foragers often return to the original site rather
than to the new site.

I'd like to hear your comments about that.

Frank.
-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen

http://WWW.BlessedBee.ca/