From:
Dave Burrup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:45:19 -0600
Randy and Pete I am with you too. I really do think that the answer to the
problems of mites and disease is in genetic selection, but perfecting it is
going to be a while coming unless someone gets real lucky with a big break
through.  The researchers and breeders have made some real advancements
already and it is unfortunate that all beekeepers have not embraced these
advancements, but there are always nay sayers and skeptics.  To the breeders
and researchers that are working on these problems I applaud your work.

We have mite resistant bees this year. Only 9 hives and 2 nucs.  Eight of
hives have built up very well.  The past month we have powder sugared them.
I did an alcohol wash of bees taken off of the open brood this past week.
Six of the hives  had mite levels between 2 and 4%.  Three of the hives had
levels below 10%, and two were 10-13%.  While this still translates into a
lot of mites per hive I cannot help but believe that my bees are healthier
now than "regular" bees with much higher mite levels.  I wish I had 10 hives
of non-resistant bees to compare them to.  Since I do not the numbers are
worthless and just an observation.
Dave
South East Idaho