From:
Ron van Mierlo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 11:08:32 +0200
Robt Mann wrote:.....
> ............ One class of question examined this way could be functions of
> drones. Movements interacting with workers (& queen?) could be correlated with
> chemicals in the hive air.

Response:
For a bee inspection sniffer to be incorporated in a flexible boroscope, I think it may get
well beyond the budget and possibilities open to us amateur bee lovers or researchers, if that
is what you meant, Robt. But the whole idea of seeing and sniffing/measuring simultaneously
must be attractive and give us a world of new information about all that's going on in the
beehive. Who knows there's beeman on the list that works for a firm involved in boroscope
manufacture, or perhaps a professional researcher who could shed a light on this, from (hive)
examinations done in this way?
Meanwhile, we might have to resort to two separate probes.
For me it's important to first get some practical experience with bees and get them going. Then
if nothing seems against it, I hope to start observing them in their home environment, using
the boroscope.

Ron van Mierlo