From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2013 20:46:13 -0400
On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM, randy oliver <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> >Among the insecticides, the neonicotinoid imidacloprid is one of the most
> effective in interacting synergistically with fungi.
>
> When one cites statements such as this, it helps to understand the
> mechanisms involved.  For instance, the synergism between Imd and fungus
> for termite control is due to reduced grooming by the termites in response
> to Imd, which then allows the fungus to penetrate the cuticle.  This is a
> physical effect, and should not be confused with immune suppression.

But we are told that bees have a very minimal chemical and biological
immune system and have evolved so that physical and social effects are very
important to their immunity arsenal.  So, I wonder for instance whether
grooming behaviour is important to resistance to tracheal mites.  We know
that the the two physical actions of early uncapping and prompt mummy
removal is critical to resistance to chalkbrood.

> I do not know the mode of action for thrips and fire ants, but in general,
> any stressor will increase the effectiveness of a bio control agent.  I'm
> not sure that we should single out any single insecticide.

Bayer was happy to single out imidacloprid for synergism with fungus.  They
trademarked the name "Premise plus Nature" to use the synergism to help
market their termite killer.  They tested several different insecticides if
you look at the papers they published on this, but imidacloprid was one of
the best.

*...* *Premise plus Nature* At low doses *Premise* changes the behaviour of
termites
so that they stop defending themselves against fungal attack. *...*
www.bayercropscience.com.au/resources/uploads/brochure/file9676.pdf - 8k

Stan