From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 23:03:54 -0500
Hello All,

>for an initial treatment of OA in order to even out mite populations and
start with low mite counts.

Crude method. Not what  a researcher would do. Many other ways to even out
the varroa load. Also what says the OA evened out the load?

A one season test proves zero in my book with new hives!

>Hans states on the article that they are continuing
the test with a new breed of bee,

He should as the element of chalkbrood has compromised the published test
results.

> The findings are that the large cell
group averaged a peak if 2 mites per day and the large
cell group averaged a peak at 7 mites per day.

Am I missing something? Both groups do not need treatment. I believe the OA
treatment did the trick!

> the significant increase of
honey harvest in the small cell group would more than
pay for expenses made by switching over to small cell.

I think your calculator needs a new battery!

<Looking at the evidence in the small cell test.

I have spent a lifetime reading research. I do not come to the same
conclusions as you do Joe! Not even close! I did a post explaining my
interpretation of the results but the post  got sent to file thirteen by the
moderators!

I spend a lot of my precious time trying to explain my point of view which
at times includes parts of posts to make people understand what I am talking
about. I have little time for lists these days due beekeeping issues I am
involved with.Takes a lot of time to hammer out a long post. I have tried to
enlighten lists to a mostly unknown world of the U.S. commercial beekeeper.
I stand by my original comments. My small cell results were like Dick
Allen's. Three other beekeeper friends had the same results! Two wasted
years of time and money and lost honey production.
I am glad others had such success with small cell but does not change our
results!
I use 5.1 mm cell size that I consider the correct size for beekeeping. I
never used 5.5mm. nor know of a beekeeper that does in the U.S. but if only
7 varroa drop per day might consider the change to 5.5mm.

Bob