Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2011 23:52:22 -0500
Bob

I've said it many times, Nosema by itself may not be so bad.  We've
several sets of samples where the Nosema levels were off the charts, but the  bees
looked good.

All I can go on is data - and as you know, our data says at least one virus
 plus Nosema seems to deliver a one-two punch.  I suspect Nosema may be
something like varroa mites - its the combination that's deadly.

As per treating with fumagillin - that's why Malcom Sanford and I are
looking for OLD bottles of the stuff.  In a conversation with Dr. Robb  Cramer,
MT State Univ, last summer, Robb mentioned that producing the antibiotic
was a bit challenging, and he wondered whether the product, as produced today,
 is the same as in the past.

He's also warned from the very beginning - fumagillin is a mixed bag.   It
is used for treatment of some human problems, such as eye infections, but
its  always the medicine of last choice, due to its known cellular toxicity
and  genotoxicity.

He's an expert in the fungus that produces fumagillin.  There are
contaminants that can develop during the manufacture that add to the  toxicity.  His
training is as a fungal pathologist, studying mammalian and  human systems.
 I diverted some of his attention to Nosema.  He's been  trying to find
alternatives to fumagillin for the stated reasons.  He's  offered to analyze
fumagillin to see if the product has changed over the  years.

I'd appreciate help from the list - if you've old bottles of fumagillin,
with some idea of source and at least an approximate data, would you
donate/forward them to us? Bee Alert, 1620 Rodgers St, Suite 1, Missoula,  MT
59802.

Thanks

Jerry