From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 11:22:00 -0600
> Does the powdered sugar contain cornstarch?  Some beekeepers find that the
> cornstarch will contribute to dysentery.  Powdered sugar without cornstarch is
> a bit hard to find, you have to shop around.

We have never noticed any problems, and we have used many bags of icing sugar
for dusting.  The amount of corn starch in a normal oxytet dusting should not
cause any problems, particularly if the bees are not confined at the time.  Only
a couple of spoonsful of the mixture is recommended.

On the other hand, in making candy for winter feed or mixing syrup, much more
sugar is used and some sources warn about bad effects from using sugar
containing starch.

allen

-----
See if your questions have been answered in over a decade of discussions.
BEE-L archives & more: http://listserv.albany.edu/archives/bee-l.html
Search sci.agriculture.beekeeping at http://www.deja.com/
or visit http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee to access both on the same page.