From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:49:36 -0400
I posted the following several years ago, so this is just a reminder to
those who talk about "northern" or even Alaskan beekeeping that being
there is not all it may seem to be as far as beekeeping is concerned.
This was in reply to hive equipment in the North. Just one more thing to
add that Alaska has a variety of climates including areas warmer than
here in Maine, so one size does not fit all.

Bill Truesdell (the archives are my friend)
Bath, Maine

Just a reminder that all beekeeping is local, and it is best to know the
weather in the location that uses different equipment. Many parts of
Europe are located much further north than much of the US, but enjoy
fairly mild winters and have temps that are closer to Maryland than
upper NY state or the Dakotas. Many parts of Sweden are warmer than
parts of Maine, including one city close the the Arctic circle, all
because they are intelligent and have their larger cities close to
water and the warm Gulf Stream.

Even in North America you can have exceptional differences  - Maine vs
Washington State. Upper NY State is cold, often colder than southern
Maine, so I buy a lot of trees from that area knowing that if they
survive there I have a chance here. So I would trust Lloyd's observations
on wintering more than those from others, since our climates are close
in temperature and other environmental factors.