Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2011 09:45:33 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
I saw the film at a screening in St. Louis in the fall of 2010.  It was interesting, especially to my wife who kept whispering to me, "do you do that?"  When I whispered back, "no," she asked, "why not?"

Biased?  Sure.  Fair and balanced?  Not really.  But very provacative and thought stimulating.  While I'm one of these "industrial" beekeepers, I'm not convinced the biodynmaic model or Warre/TBH is going to save the industry.  Nor will it meet our apiarian and pollination needs.

This past spring I've been impressed by the number of calls and e-mails I've received from wannabees who have read (and believed) that TBH's are the exclusive way to "humanely" keep bees.  Misinformation abounds, particularly from a woman who said she didn't want to smoke her bees and had been told the TBH didn't need smoke.  

I love the movie for getting us to think about what we "industrial" beekeepers are doing and how we interact with our environment.  I applaud the producer and director to taking a bold step of faith investing in the movie.  I hope they make their money back.  But it's not a shoe that fits all feet.

Grant
Jackson, MO

P.S.  Has anyone googled "Fred Einstein?"  He exists!  (haven't asked him about that quote, however).

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2