From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2011 18:55:17 -0800
--- On Wed, 12/7/11, Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > In Africa, small colonies combine to form huge swarms
> as large as 610 liters, containing up to 500 mated queens
> (Silberrad 1976). MM Boreham - Bulletin of the ESA, 1987

reply;
Like I said, I film this on video in upper Madera Canyon bee yard with showing bees from one colony flying out, circling and then flying into another in same row back in 1980s. Also filmed when making splits with walk aways side by side, bees in one colony walking on ground next door to go into one next to them. Also filmed yard of newly set up swarms back in mid- 1980s doing same combining, like sorta going to queens with most phermones, so reasoned then it was swarm with old queen and bees with her then going to another queen more newer with good phermones. But to me this is old stuff.....nothing new...and again, can be found in old journals.

Dee