From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2013 22:38:11 -0400
> I realise that the format is different,
> but I wonder why?

Degrees, Minutes, Seconds is very old-skool, like LORAN and TACAN.
Decimal degrees are just as precise, and are trendy, like GPS.

You can convert back and forth here:
http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/4yun4wx

> Posting coordinates in sigs is fun and
> allows u to see where the message
> is coming from.

OK, I'll play - my GPS says I am posting from 41.090770, -72.350017.
Google will snap to the closest point on land, Bing shows absolute position.