From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Dec 2008 15:01:37 -0500
On 26-Dec-08, at 1:10 PM, Martin Braunstein wrote:

> It is interesting to note that Aethina tumida specimens found in
> Quebec match haplotype US2 found previously in the USA and are
> different from specimens found in Alberta in 2006 (which were
> similar to Australian isolates).

Hi Martin and all

The 5 Quebec locations are immediately adjacent to  the US border
from where the report alleges the beetles originated.  The Alberta
infestation allegedly arrived in packages from Oz.  Another incident
occurred in Manitoba originating in a load of wax shipped  from Texas
for rendering.  Except for the 20 hives in Godmanchester Quebec(3
infested) all other hives were destroyed.  I live in Ontario(44N80W)
several hundred km, but the Ontario boundary is only a few km from
Dundee/Godmanchester area (45N74W) .  While Ontario is separated from
the US by the Great Lakes/St Laurence system and we have not detected
small hive beetles yet, Quebec is separated from the US by a line on
a map which is not continuously detectable on the ground and
therefore Canadian and US hives could be almost side by side.
Interprovincial movement of bees is banned without permits and
associated inspections, but Ontario bees are transported to Quebec
and New Brunswick for blueberry pollination.  During the migration
they pass through or very near the infected area.  Will the
inspectors be able to find and isolate infested hives before they are
returned to Ontario?

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada