Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:04:00 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
> If I have to bet I say that mites adapt faster to bees than bees to mites.> Why? There is a lot more genetic variability with bees with multiple > external mating by queens compared with brother:sister mating among mites. On the > other hand there is a fresh generation of mites every month or thereabouts > but a fresh generation of bees only every couple of years or so.
...because of the multiple mating in bees it will take longer (smaller chance) to fix a trait like "tolerance". Fixing traits into the mite population will be easier (bigger chance) due to the sister-mating system that has less mixing of genes. And indeed the quick generation time.
But I do not know how big the difference is between mites and how much genetic variation they have. In an "isolated world" (limited transmission of mites between hives) I kind of expect genetic variation for Varroa between locations (space/time) because they have a sister-mating system responding to different selection pressure with little mixing of genes.   

I think we spend too little time looking at mites (genetic diversity and virulence). 

I am also not sure about genetic variation in bees with all the inbreeding we have done. Some people sell hundred/thousands of queens that are more or less related and go to islands to narrow down the chance of unknown mating.

ATB
L 
* Search the BEE-L archives at:                       *
* http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?S1=bee-l *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2