From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 07:21:52 -0600
-Hello Allen and All,

Peter wrote:
> ... There is good evidence that the buildup of mites is dependent
> on climate and weather, being more severe in temperate and humid
* areas.

There is good evidence climate effects varroa.  Especially heat.  Tests have shown that varroa will move away from areas with a temperature  of 100.5F. or 38 C. and above  . I took those temperatures from "The Varroa Handbook".

From all the research I have done on Varroa starting before varroa even was found in the U.S. I found that the one factor which caused the demise of a hive the quickest  was increased brood rearing. Your best hives always were the first to cross  threshold.
I also found that bees in tropic areas or places where the temperatures are warm in the day most of the year tend to maintain small brood nests compared to bees northern areas in spring. . When I kept bees in Florida we had to trick the bees with feed to get the bees to expand the brood nest. Otherwise the bees were content  to keep a brood nest of 4 or 5 frames of brood most of the year.
.
Although this is not in regard the main thrust of your comments here, Peter, I should interject that Tucson is not as sub-tropical as we might think.  It was about freezing at night and cool well into the mornings when I was there in Jan, and it snowed after I left.
Sounds like Florida this year!  I believe that the Lusby's do not feed the syrup most beekeepers do from looking at their articles. I pump syrup to my bees to increase  brood rearing and I am not talking a gallon with meds.
I have said in posts about the above done a couple years ago that if a hive  of Lusbys bees were put under northern conditions and treated as  we treat our bees for pollination and honey production I do not believe they would show the same results  as the Lusbys are seeing in Arizona.
Dee  wrote:
 and we were self-contained without having to purchase outside stock..."
I admire the Lusby's for what they have done but outside stock is the life blood of my operation.  Hygienic stock from Marla Spivak and SMR queens from Dr. Harbo and Dr. Harris. Many beekeepers credit their success in beekeeping to queens from Sue Colby and Ohio Queen Breeders.
Allen wrote:
I should add that a neighbouring beekeeper from New Mexico tells the same story, and is currently achieving the same success-apparently-using Lusby's stock and methods.
I like Peter am only trying to point out logical reasons why the Lusby's are having success.  New Mexico is very similar to Arizona.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri
Ps. Today is the day I give the program on varroa for the Midwestern Beekeepers assn.. I have emailed directions to several from Bee-L which are planning to attend. Email for directions. If you live within driving distance.   We welcome visiting beekeepers.  Attendance is free  and refreshments will be served.  Beekeepers  which fall asleep during my program will not be woke up unless snoring.  The president of the Missouri State Beekeepers is driving in to hear the talk .  Learn the methods my partner and I use to handle varroa.