From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2017 15:05:17 -0800

> >Is it known how long viruses (especially the pathogenic ones) stay viable
> in the hive once all of the bees and mites have died?

Diana Cox Foster published some years ago that at least some viruses
remained viable for weeks or months.

BIP results indicate that those beekeepers who quickly recycled the combs
of deadouts had better colony survival.

Here in Calif we leave deadout equip at ambient temp all winter, and
restock onto it in spring, and don't notice any problems.  Nor particular
problems when we combine dinks in our sick yards--some die, but many turn
around.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA