From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 21:26:10 -0700
Brian said:
While there are many many different operations out there in general I
beleive its safe to say that
they run a bee that's not very resistant to mites, keep them brooding all
year around and are
forced to treat in spring and fall.

I also am very surprised at the lack of demand for mite-resistant
queens--those are the queens that are most profitable for me.

However, as you say, there are many different ways of operating.  I've been
migratory for nearly 30 years, but not as in the model that you describe.
Almonds are only two hours from me.  I migrate further to good summer
pasture for natural feeding.  I have only in the past few years done much
feeding, and that is mostly of singles that would otherwise not brood up
when left here in dry California.  The feeding that I do is to try to
duplicate the natural situation that those east of the Rockies naturally
experience--pollen and nectar from July 'til frost.

Strong colonies with plenty of natural pollen need no supplemental feeding
for almonds whatsoever.  They can shut down naturally about Nov 1, and
naturally start brooding up in Calif just after the winter solstice.  The
only reason to feed them in January is if you plan to split them, or if they
went into fall deficient in natural pollen.  Bees that spent the fall on
good pasture build naturally for almonds with no help from the beekeeper,
other than a good winter location.

My point is, not all migratory beekeepers fit the "unsustainable" mold.

Randy Oliver