Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2008 18:46:21 GMT
>>If this emigration happened before the trans-siberian RR
(1891-1916) this is most impressive.

"Enemies of the czars" were regularly sent to Siberia since the 1700's by a wagon called kibitka.  A local population was established to manage the labor camps and explore the Siberian resources.  Siberia was Russia's Wild West where one could find relative freedom (if not the czar's enemy!) and fortunes could be made.

>>It IS 6K miles  How many hives / wagon? How long to travel so far!!!

My grandparents along with my mother who was 5 years old at the time were considered "enemies of the Soviet Union" in Soviet-occupied Poland.  The whole family, along with others, was shipped to the coldest spot on Earth by the Ob River in early 1940 by cattle train.  It took some 7 days of train travel to get there.  There were no bees by the Ob River in Siberia.  Primorsky region does have a milder climate.

Waldemar