From:
"Dennis A. Meeks" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 1996 21:53:39 -0500
At 01:04 PM 6/30/96 -0500, you wrote:
>>Approved-By:  [log in to unmask]
>>Date:         Sun, 30 Jun 1996 09:52:24 -0400
>>Sender:       Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
>>From:         "my name is Dean M. Breaux" <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject:      Re: Queens and the postal dept.
>>To:           Multiple recipients of list BEE-L <[log in to unmask]>
>>

>I work for the Postal Service, and what Dean has stated previously is very
>true,unfortunately. You have to alert your local post office,pick up your
>package at that office,and give them your phone number.I have received many
>packaged bees,where the address or phone number had been smeared with sugar
>syrup or some other debris.The bee breeders should also have a better
>labeling system.The postal workers have been trained to read the customer's
>address,not any side notes. Maybe if the breeder sticks a label to the
>package, it will help.I have tried to educate my fellow workers about the
>proper handling of bees.I will again talk to the District of Maine Postal
>Management Officers.Remember-not everyone likes to handle bees,especially
>when bees are clinging outside the package!! Let me know about complaints in
>Maine.

>P.S.  Queen breeders should send their bees in a crush-proof package - for
>example, the Post Office provides free of charge a two-day delivery
>envelope.

My name is Dennis Meeks, and I also work for the Postal Service and keep
bees.  I usually have to bees shipped to me at the address of the Post
Office where I want to pick them up..with my name in the ATTN: line, and my
home phone number with "Call On Arrival" indicated, should they arrive when
I'm not there!  It just so happened that was the case this year, and I
received three (3) calles from different people at the post office..two of
which I didn't know personally.
  My point is others might try this so that bees are not left in hot mailboxes.
I would also think that breeders would be more than happy to adjust their
mailing/billing addresses to assist in providing the best possible condition
of their product upon arrival!  Check with your local Postmaster prior to
ordering and make similar arrangements.  Worth a try!