From:
Bryan Isaac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2006 11:37:11 -0600
Hello all,
I've been a lurker for four years and have learned much valuable advice
from the list. My question involves seeing eggs and just hatched larvae.
I have taken a queen rearing course (last year) and was frustrated that
I couldn't find the larvae (except by chance) to graft. At home I tried
grafting by setting up a table with two halogen lamps, and wearing a
magnifying visor but still was having real difficulty. This year I tried
the Hopkins method (Case method) of rearing and had the same problem. I
held the frame up with sun coming over my shoulder but couldn't find any
larvae. I had seen the queen moving about this frame and watched her
deposit eggs (I assume) in two cells before I put the frame back. Today
I took the frame for queen rearing and the only thing I was sure of  was
that there was a circular pattern of pollen and I just guessed that
there were eggs in the circle.
I know this seems like I might just have poor eyesight but I was
wondering if anyone on the list has experienced the same and what some
methods might be to help me out.
I appreciate any and all advice.

Bryan