From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 22:03:45 +0900

>I'm wondering about the Australian lid with the underlying mat  --  in an
>intense honeyflow aren't some colonies apt to cram the lid full of combs
>and honey??  (Above the mat, I mean.)

No, the bees will not build comb above the hive mat.  Perhaps the depth is
insufficient.  Without a hive mat though on a strong honey flow, the lid can
be full of freshly drawn and sealed honey - makes beautiful cut comb
honeycomb but a little hard to transport from the apiary.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
j.h. & e. mcadam<[log in to unmask]