From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 13:32:33 +0800
Aaron Bergman wrote:-
"Peter, would you please comment on the perceived impact of neonics in
Australia? We all know that Australia does not yet have varroa, and I have
heard that neonics are widely used in Australia but do not seem to be a
problem for the bees. Is this accurate?"

For a published view on the impacts of the neonics in Australia, the
following article may be of interest.
http://theabk.com.au/article/neonicotinoids-australia
But of course, like everywhere else, there is a broad spectrum of
experiences and opinions, ranging from no "effect...nothing to worry about"
right up to "major impact causing severe problems...a major concern". So
what is really going on?
The above article highlights the logistic problem of getting accurate
information from the beekeepers to the regulators, so that they can make
their assessments based on reliable information feeding back from the field
use situation. In truth, that is where we need to start. If you have a good
solution to this problem, that will change beekeepers' natural inclination
to stay as far away from bureaucracy as possible, then please share it with
us!
(Having said that, I must 'fess up to the fact that despite having my own
experiences of problems which I attribute to these agrichems, I too haven't
formally reported them to the regulatory authority!)

Juanse's simile that we are like the "meat in the sandwich" is a good
analogy. I feel we will be devoured in the not too distant future, because
already the problem of there being no significant next generation of
beekeepers willing to take over from us, is being felt here. The agrichems
issue certainly isn't helping that.