Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2012 19:12:20 -0400
EAS is a LONG ways from MT, but this year Frank Linton is  hosting a one
hour Hive  Stress Monitoring Devices Workshop, 4-5, on Thursday.

Robert Seccomb and I are coming to  participate in the workshop.  We plan
on unveiling our Hand-Held  Acoustic Scanner for detection of bee diseases,
pests, and hive conditions such  as queenless and Africanized bees, as well
as exposure to toxic chemicals.   Randy calls this our Buck Rogers technology.

We've been working on this for  several years under Phase I and II SBIR
awards from: (1) the DoD to  develop use hive sounds to detect toxic chemicals
(bees have unique sounds for  several different categories of chemicals - we
were nominated for a DoD  innovation award for this application) and more
recently (2) USDA to extend  this concept to bee diseases, pests such as
mites and hive beetles, and other  uses.

We had a technological breakthrough  this spring that greatly reduces the
cost of the instrument while  greatly expanding capability.  Our newest
scanner also adds monitoring of  ultra-sonic sounds.

We've only got 10 minutes on the  program, so we'll focus on the scanner,
which we will bring with us.    We'll probably ship a bi-directional bee
counter for nuc hives, and carry  information on our bee LIDAR for mapping bees
(at 35 #) and a fairly steep  price, we don't ship the LIDAR unless we
intend to use it.

We're arriving Tuesday night,  leaving Friday morning.  We will be around
Wed and Thursday, if we make all  of plane connections.  Look us up, always
good to meet Bee-L friends.   I missed the National Meetings last year - had
some surgery to replace damaged  teeth.

Hope to see lots of you  at  EAS.

Best

Jerry