From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 2005 04:40:53 -0600
> I just wanted to THANK YOU for putting out your results on this list,
> especially with all the flack you have taken.

Statements like this puzzle me.  I just spent 10 minutes looking for the
'flack', and I'm afraid, as usual when I hear about people getting a rough
ride for presenting an idea on BEE-L, I can't find any basis for the claim.

What I usually do find is that a person or two asked some questions about
the techniques and assumptions, and another person or two repeated the
standard caveats in light of studies done and experiences reported by
others.  All quite mild, and showing respect, and interest.

On this topic, powered sugar, in particular, discussion is ancient.  Many,
if not most of us, have used powdered sugar for diagnosis, if not treatment,
and are somewhat familiar with the concepts.  It's perren ial.  Almost
exactly a year ago, on September 12, 2004, one James Fischer, under the
subject line, "Re: [BEE-L] Powered Sugar to treat for varroa mites", wrote,
"I've used it from time to time. Do an archive search on both "powdered
sugar" and "powered sugar" for details".   For those who have never used the
archives, see http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/archives/bee-l.html.  The
search is easy to use, once you get used to it, and the material there is
fascinating.

We all appreciate, and -- I assume -- accept, Janet's assertions regarding
her experience, and are curious about details, and how closely she is
following previous users' methods.

Frankly, I, personally, have little doubt that powdered sugar is working for
her, and -- assuming she is doing some kind of analysis to extrapolate her
mite loads, and is prepared to take additional measures should the method
fail at some point to maintain adequate control -- that this may be the only
control she needs well into the future.

The reasons powdered sugar is working without assistance, given the
application method, and to what extent, are less clear. There are often many
factors that are never explained.   In my own case, I have been getting away
with very reduced treatments, and even skipping some annual applications.
In other reported cases, varroa have not bee developing as expected, so I
guess we all wonder how much of the success is due to the method, how much
is due to the circumstances, and also what the future will bring.

I guess, also, what I'm saying is that if people post to BEE-L, they should
expect some queries, some doubt, and some challenge.  This is a university
server, and, after all, and although most of what goes on here is not all
that rigourous, there is an expectation of some debate and examination of
ideas.  I, personally have benefitted immensely from being challenged, and
have learned a lot over the years from those who disagreed with me.  I have
learned very little from those who never do..

Thanks to all who are willing to take the chance, and who set out their
experiences for us to enjoy, consider, and debate with them.

And thanks to those who have taken the extra effort to be tactful in
pointing out my follies.

allen